Saturday 30 March 2013

The Backpacking Adventure

I am eagerly anticipating the much-needed arrival of summertime. An end to the bleak,cold weather will also signify an end to the AS Level Exams, and I have ensured that all of the hard work and adaptation to change will be subject to a sizeable paying off come the 23rd July.

Do I trust the British weather throughout the coveted, fickle British 'sunny-season' these summer months.
No. No way.
I've taken things into my own hands.

This summer, my best friend James and I embark on a two man backpacking mission, with our Saturday jobs having already produced the fruits of two one-way flights from London Gatwick to Zagreb, Croatia and two return journeys from Mykonos, Greece to London Luton two and a half weeks later. Though perhaps shy of a full on, gap year adventure of a lifetime, this is set to be one of the defining moments of our lives so far.

How are we getting about inbetween? Here, there, and everywhere, thanks to the wonders of an Interrail pass that will grant us exclusive free access to every train in Europe.
Eager Beaver - Attempting to book my pass so far in advance that the  Interrail site wouldn't allow it. So much for saving up for it!
I am literally bating my breath for planned excursions to the renowned Hobo Bear Hostel on the first night in Zagreb, through to sea-swimming, beach bumming and and island hopping in Greece, through to sampling the apparently impressive nightclub scene in Serbia.

http://belgradeatnight.com/clubs/

Above is a small sample of our plans. We are banking on a lenient age identification process throughout Eastern Europe! There are hopes to sightsee, take night trains, have a crack at jetskiing and other watersports , go camping, and check out Tomorrowland and Off  festivals in Poland and Belgium. Any oppurtunity that comes our way for activity, we're taking it. Such oppurtunities are begging to be grabbed onto, and we are quite prepared to do so!

 Hostelbookers has shone light on remarkably cheap accommodation. Also I may have somewhere set up to stay with a family in Romania for free, which is a godsend. A fine opportunity to return to my rude introduction to alcohol with the fabled local brew, plum soika, along with some of the best food I have ever tasted, upon my first excursion to Romania.

Having someone as ill-advised and adventurous as myself there will be truly excellent. I've thought about this trip a ridiculous amount, and personally can't wait for the (mis)adventures to begin!
James and I will be sure to keep you updated on the progress of an adventure certain to reach epic proportions.














2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear more about this Sam :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be awesome! Haha :) x It's actually getting closer and closer as well, can't wait man.

    ReplyDelete