Saturday 6 April 2013

Exchange Outcast - I'm hitting up Montpellier, and speaking only French!

Thierry Henry is a living god, and he came from France so it's not as shite as some people think!


Want to read this post in a funky new language for a real cultural kick? Check out the all-new 'Translate' button and prepare for either utter confusion, or perhaps even increased understanding if I really can't write!

And so my petulant little fable begins..

Come this time in two days, I will probably be eating a hopefully delicious meal with a French-Vietnamese family (at least supposedly, judging by the second name Nguyễn which over 40% of the Vietnamese population share) in Montpelier, speaking only French and trying to comprehend a notoriously fast-paced language, all whilst attempting to remain in confident and polite prose. I'm not ready.

Apparently, this is Montpellier. It looks pretty nice, in the way that Bristol would look awesome if you took a really knockout picture. Still, if the sun's shining and it's lovely and warm, I am more than pleased.

Apparently we're going skating, bowling, and shopping in Avignon in the pleasant climate of Southern France, and I would be getting really excited, if it wasn't for the sudden realization that my language skills are going to be the laughing stock of the region.

Currently, I am committing the cardinal sin of procrastination from revising my speaking skills and topics right before both the trip and my A-Level French speaking exam. Where I felt prepared and on top of my game after my GCSE equivalent, I feel as if I have been submitted by some kind of nasty AQA accident this time around. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll do fine and come out with a smile on my face, but the scale of what is to be achieved in the coming weeks is getting to me, as per usual.

Culinary heaven. Seriously, if they make Pho, I refuse to leave. Please, please be French Vietnamese.

Literally cannot wait to meet Marc, Claire, and co. I really did luck out getting the (hopefully) Vietnamese family, as we will have plenty to talk about on South East Asia, and Pho in particular. I'm hoping that this Marc fella is a real lad and will introduce me to his mates, and I really hope that Bennett aren't poxy and allow me time go out and hang out with them, maybe drink a couple of beers and have a great time. Guarenteed, I will be doing anything to not come across as the awkward exchange student who isn't really confident or willing enough to mix with anyone. That would suck; I have seen it happen too many times and don't want it to happen again.

I am the only guy going on this trip, which is both a ridiculous ratio, and a mixed blessing. Despite the barrage of females venturing outside of their homeland and, you know, without sounding too crude and nasty, 'feeling experimental', I will also be without fellow men to form a wolfpack, and will be relying on French guys to provide the banter.

They had better be real geezers; not introverted little scamps who write blogs about their feelings!
(Please note that the above sentence may contain a light dusting of sarcasm)

Bring on Montpellier! I'll take some cheeky snaps, bring the banter throughout, and show you guys soon. Perhaps even when I'm there! Peace out.


Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Skurzey
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/samkersee

No comments:

Post a Comment